.

.

Welcome to the House of Flavors

A little bit background - because of a chronic stomach condition, I haven't been able to eat ice cream in ten years. TEN YEARS. Imagine my suffering.

But after years of seeing a nutritionist and trying dozens of different diets and herbal remedies, my stomach has slowly been healing, and I am once again able to eat frozen deliciousness made from milk and cream and sugar. I am ecstatic, which I'm sure any ice cream lover can understand.

When I discovered I could once again eat ice cream without getting sick, I came up with the brilliant idea that I would undertake an epic taste test of Ben & Jerry's dozens of ice cream flavors. And starting with this original taste test, this blog is where I record and review all results of my ice cream taste testing adventures. Enjoy my rapturous observations about each delicious flavor and please feel free to share your own opinions in the comments section!

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Ben & Jerry's Milk & Cookies

I am a huge fan of Cookies & Cream ice cream, but Ben & Jerry's flavor Milk & Cookies isn't your usual chunks of Oreo cookie embedded in vanilla ice cream, which is what I was originally expecting. The packaging proclaims the flavor to be "vanilla ice cream with a chocolate cookie swirl, chocolate chip and chocolate chocolate chip cookies."

That description seems to promise a whole lot of chocolate, and given Ben & Jerry's famous penchant for sticking large chunks of candy, pretzels,  brownie and cookie dough into their products, I was expecting some big satisfying pieces of chocolatey Oreo cookies mixed into that delicious-sounding chocolate cookie swirl. But alas, this is a flavor devoid of large chunks of anything.

While the overall flavor of Milk & Cookies is fabulously creamy and tasty, I have to give this flavor 3.5 stars due to my disappointment at the lack of actual cookie pieces. There is a really delicious, somewhat gritty (but pleasing) cookie swirl throughout the pint, and I have to give B&J's credit for coming up with a new take on the Cookies & Cream idea.  But as I am starting to figure out, you need to have some big chocolatey chunks of something in a flavor of ice cream to fully please my palette.

I guess I'm going to have to do some additional taste testing to find another brand of Cookies & Cream ice cream that has big chunks of Oreo cookie in order to satisfy my craving for this particular flavor.  I'm aware that Ben & Jerry's has a Sweet Cream & Cookies flavor that actually seems to be more like the original Cookies & Cream type of ice cream, complete with actual Oreo Chunks.  But while I really want to sample that, it's apparently only available at scoop shops, so I can't stick a pint in my freezer to satisfy my 2 AM Cookies & Cream craving.  I'll have to find another brand.  Sorry, Ben & Jerry's.  Does anyone have any brands to recommend for Cookies & Cream?

Want a second opinion on Ben & Jerry's Milk & Cookies?  Visit On Second Scoop and check out their review.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a comment to make you feel special. :-)

    I really like the layout of your blog. It's really lovely and fun.
    Well-done and I look forward to reading more.

    - Beth Fisher

    ReplyDelete