.

.

Welcome to the House of Flavors

A little bit background - because of a chronic stomach condition, I haven't been able to eat ice cream in ten years. TEN YEARS. Imagine my suffering.

But after years of seeing a nutritionist and trying dozens of different diets and herbal remedies, my stomach has slowly been healing, and I am once again able to eat frozen deliciousness made from milk and cream and sugar. I am ecstatic, which I'm sure any ice cream lover can understand.

When I discovered I could once again eat ice cream without getting sick, I came up with the brilliant idea that I would undertake an epic taste test of Ben & Jerry's dozens of ice cream flavors. And starting with this original taste test, this blog is where I record and review all results of my ice cream taste testing adventures. Enjoy my rapturous observations about each delicious flavor and please feel free to share your own opinions in the comments section!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie

It may not be quite as unique as some Ben & Jerry's flavors, but with its chunks of chewy, fudgy brownie pieces in rich chocolate ice cream, originality be damned. Chocolate Fudge Brownie gets a rating of 5 stars and a permanent spot in my freezer.  These days, since this is also my husband's favorite of the Ben & Jerry's flavors that we have sampled so far, we've actually been making room for more than one pint at a time of Chocolate Fudge Brownie in our freezer.  Yes, it's that good.  While the brownie chunks are definitely the highlight of this flavor, I have to say that Ben & Jerry's basic chocolate ice cream is also the best that I've ever tasted.  Up until now, I have always considered chocolate ice cream to be a bit... well, boring.  There it is - my confession of the day.  But in Ben & Jerry's hands, this basic flavor has become something richer, creamier and somehow more chocolaty than regular chocolate ice cream.  So both the ice cream base and the fudgy brownies of Chocolate Fudge Brownie are an immense treat.

A fun coincidence - the brownies in B&J's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream are baked by Greyston Bakery, a non-profit organization in Yonkers, New York, which provides employment and job training to economically disadvantaged residents.  I work in Yonkers, so now I know where to go if I want a good brownie.  And these are definitely good brownies.  I cannot use italics enough in this ice cream review to adequately convey my love of the fudgy, fudgy brownies in this flavor.




An additional important note - we've gone through several pints of Chocolate Fudge Brownie in the past several weeks, and all but one of the pints had delicious, fudgy brownie chunks. But one of the pints that I bought had dry, crumbly brownie pieces.  Alas, the brownies had been the victim of horrible freezer burn.  So be forewarned - if you come across a pint of Chocolate Fudge Brownie with less-than-fudgy brownies, that's a decidedly abnormal batch.  Don't base your judgement on this delicious flavor based on a freezer burned carton.  After taste-testing several pints of Chocolate Fudge Brownie (just to be sure, of course), I can attest to the fact that the brownies are quite reliably very fudgy and soft.

Want a second opinion on Chocolate Fudge Brownie?  Visit On Second Scoop and read their review.

No comments:

Post a Comment