.

.

Welcome to the House of Flavors

A little bit background - because of a chronic stomach condition, I haven't been able to eat ice cream in ten years. TEN YEARS. Imagine my suffering.

But after years of seeing a nutritionist and trying dozens of different diets and herbal remedies, my stomach has slowly been healing, and I am once again able to eat frozen deliciousness made from milk and cream and sugar. I am ecstatic, which I'm sure any ice cream lover can understand.

When I discovered I could once again eat ice cream without getting sick, I came up with the brilliant idea that I would undertake an epic taste test of Ben & Jerry's dozens of ice cream flavors. And starting with this original taste test, this blog is where I record and review all results of my ice cream taste testing adventures. Enjoy my rapturous observations about each delicious flavor and please feel free to share your own opinions in the comments section!

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream

Stephen Colbert's famous flavor Americone Dream gets a solid 3 stars.  While the fudge covered pieces of waffle cone and swirls of caramel are tasty and the vanilla ice cream is as sweet and creamy as you could want, the flavor overall ends up being a little too simple, unexciting and... well, vanilla for my taste.

An interesting side note: my husband was initially an extremely enthusiastic fan of this flavor - when he was eating it right out of the labeled carton featuring both the Ben & Jerry's logo and the handsome mug of Stephen Colbert. But then I put a serving of Americone Dream in an unlabeled tupperware in the freezer, along with a couple of other flavors in similarly unlabeled containers. I didn't tell him what any of them were. I didn't even mention what I had done. I just waited to see what would happen when he sampled one of the flavors. Interestingly enough, he later reported that whatever flavor it was that he had eaten (it was Americone Dream) didn't taste nearly as delicious to him as when he was eating straight from the carton.

When I told my husband that he had been eating Americone Dream, one of his two self-proclaimed favorites, my husband the Psychologist and Consumer Research Analyst decided that he had been swayed overly much by the Stephen Colbert branding on the package.



Genius move, Ben & Jerry's. Slap Colbert's face on the package, because that man could successfully sell pretty much anything...

Pistachio.






Want a second opinion on Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream?  Visit On Second Scoop and check out their review.

No comments:

Post a Comment