.

.

Welcome to the House of Flavors

A little bit background - because of a chronic stomach condition, I haven't been able to eat ice cream in ten years. TEN YEARS. Imagine my suffering.

But after years of seeing a nutritionist and trying dozens of different diets and herbal remedies, my stomach has slowly been healing, and I am once again able to eat frozen deliciousness made from milk and cream and sugar. I am ecstatic, which I'm sure any ice cream lover can understand.

When I discovered I could once again eat ice cream without getting sick, I came up with the brilliant idea that I would undertake an epic taste test of Ben & Jerry's dozens of ice cream flavors. And starting with this original taste test, this blog is where I record and review all results of my ice cream taste testing adventures. Enjoy my rapturous observations about each delicious flavor and please feel free to share your own opinions in the comments section!

Friday, October 10, 2014

Ben & Jerry's Coconut Seven Layer Bar

Earlier this week, I made my first official visit to a Ben & Jerry's scoop shop as part of my taste test, in order to start trying the flavors that are exclusively available at scoop shops and not by the pint. I was probably a little bit too excited about this field trip, but since I'm having so much fun with my current Ben & Jerry's obsession, I'm just going to go with it.

My choice to sample Coconut Seven Layer Bar turned out to be less exciting. The flavor promises fudge, butter scotch, graham cracker pieces and walnuts mixed into coconut ice cream with coconut flakes, but the only thing that was present with any abundance were the coconut flakes. This was a serious disappointment.

I feel like it is important to note that if you're looking for a good, sweet coconut ice cream with excellent texture/mouth feel, you needn't look any further. Coconut Seven Layer Bar is quite tasty in that regard.

But I was expecting more chocolate, which is one of my very strong personal preferences, and more chunks overall. Something that I am looking for in Ben & Jerry's flavors is to find big pieces of brownies, pretzels, toffee, cookie, dough... whatever... embedded in my ice cream. I feel like that's an important part of the Ben & Jerry's experience, although maybe I'm over-generalizing. But in any case, the tiny fudge "flakes" left me craving a more equitable distribution of coconut and chocolate,  and I can't be the only person with that reaction. I mean, who really enjoys fudge "flakes," anyway? Who has even heard of fudge flakes.

I'm left wishing that I had ordered one of the other flavors from my bucket list, especially since a single scoop is $4.65 (including tax). This flavor gets two stars and a lopsided grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment