.

.

Welcome to the House of Flavors

A little bit background - because of a chronic stomach condition, I haven't been able to eat ice cream in ten years. TEN YEARS. Imagine my suffering.

But after years of seeing a nutritionist and trying dozens of different diets and herbal remedies, my stomach has slowly been healing, and I am once again able to eat frozen deliciousness made from milk and cream and sugar. I am ecstatic, which I'm sure any ice cream lover can understand.

When I discovered I could once again eat ice cream without getting sick, I came up with the brilliant idea that I would undertake an epic taste test of Ben & Jerry's dozens of ice cream flavors. And starting with this original taste test, this blog is where I record and review all results of my ice cream taste testing adventures. Enjoy my rapturous observations about each delicious flavor and please feel free to share your own opinions in the comments section!

Friday, October 31, 2014

Ben & Jerry's Banana Peanut Butter Greek Froyo

To explain my deep and passionate love for the Ben & Jerry's flavor Peanut Butter Jam Session, I wrote what amounts to a love letter to that childhood classic, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. At some point in elementary school, I discovered that PB&J had a delicious cousin, the peanut butter and banana sandwich, which had the exotic distinction of being tasty when grilled. In college, when my mother was no longer around to relieve me of the difficult chore of slicing the banana and placing it between two slices of bread with the peanut butter, I began to slather the peanut butter directly onto a whole banana.  And then came the discovery of peanut butter and banana bread, peanut butter and banana cookies and various adorable peanut butter and banana treats that fill up Pinterest board after Pinterest board.  Delicious in all known forms, the peanut butter and banana combo somehow transforms the tedious breakfast item of the banana into a decadent treat by practically obliterating all nutritional value of the fruit and filling your mouth with sweet banana and gooey peanut butter flavors that somehow perfectly harmonize.


And just as the experience of eating B&J's Peanut Butter Jam Session remarkably mimics the tasty and comforting experience of eating a gooey PB&J, Ben & Jerry's Banana Peanut Butter Greek Froyo accurately replicates the taste of peanut butter spread on a banana. It's not quite as gooey as a warm peanut butter and banana sandwich fresh off the grill, and it somehow manages to keep that lighter flavor that characterizes Ben & Jerry's Greek Froyo flavors. Yet it also tastes rich, even decadent with its peanut butter flavor and its ability to evoke memories of another classic childhood treat.  I think this is achieved because the froyo itself is more strongly flavored with banana and a lighter hint of peanut butter, and then there are thin veins of peanut butter swirls throughout the pint that add a new level of richness.

Ultimately, Banana Peanut Butter Greek Froyo is a simple blend of two flavors, in perfect balance and harmony.  I award this flavor 5 stars and predict that it will remain one of my go-to 3 AM snacks for many long and happy years.

No comments:

Post a Comment